Our History

THE FOUNDING YEARS

1891

Watchmaker Otto Steiner, the great-grandfather of the present owners, devotes himself to an intriguing new product: cables. He founds the cable and rubber factory “Kabel- und Gummifabrik Otto Steiner” on the premises of the former “Pappelmühle” in Schwechat.

  • 1907
    1907

    Heinrich Eger

    After the death of Otto Steiner, his father-in-law Heinrich Eger takes over the company and continues to expand it.

  • 1912
    1912

    Schwechater Kabelwerke (SKW)

    The business is converted into Schwechater Kabelwerke (SKW). Dr. Emil Kolben, one of the most important industrialists in Bohemia at that time, becomes a partner in the company.

  • 1919
    1919

    Branch factory in Prague

    The SKW branch factory previously established in Prague is relocated to Hostivar on the outskirts of the city. This marks the birth of “Prager Kabelfabrik”, abbreviated to PRAKAB, which grows swiftly until 1940. PRAKAB is lost to its former shareholders in the wake of World War II. 

Reconstruction

1948

Despite severe wartime damage, the Schwechat works are able to resume production.

  • 1951
    1951

    Heinz Tremmel-Scheinost

    After the death of Heinrich Eger, Heinz Tremmel-Scheinost – the grandson of the company’s founder and the father of the present owners – takes the helm at SKW.

  • 1955
    1955

    Expansion of product portfolio

    As the supply with raw materials improves, the sales programme is swiftly expanded to include the production of underground cables.

  • 1978
    1978

    Establishment of SKG Spezialkabelgesellschaft

    SKG Spezialkabelgesellschaft focuses primarily on trading in special products such as cables and plugs.

  • 1985
    1985

    Production of telephone cables

    SKW begins producing telephone cables in a new manufacturing hall.

The Fifth Generation

1990

Alexander and Christoph Tremmel enter the company, representing the 5th generation of the owning family.

  • 1991
    1991

    100 years of SKW

    The company Schwechater Kabelwerke celebrates its 100th anniversary.

  • 1992
    1992

    Acquisition of Kablo Hostivar

    The Tremmel family seeks contact with cable manufacturers in Eastern Europe, including former PRAKAB (at that time trading as Kablo Hostivar). Following tough negotiations, SKW is able to acquire a majority shareholding in Kablo Hostivar, and the company name is changed back to PRAKAB.

  • 1997
    1997

    Relocation of production

    Production moves from Schwechat to Prague, doubling the production capacity for energy cables. SKW also significantly expands its logistics capacity.

  • 2005
    2005

    New company established in Slovakia

    The segment of flexible industrial cables is defined as a new development focus, leading to the establishment of ICS Industrial Cables Slovakia s r.o. in the Western Slovak town of Nitra.

  • 2007
    2007

    Expansion in Ukraine 

    The group acquires a majority interest in the Ukrainian cable manufacturer Interkabel Kiev (IKK). The company, which has been on the market since 2005, manufactures energy cables and conductors in accordance with Ukrainian standards.

  • 2008
    2008

    The new SKB GROUP

    The establishment of the SKB-GROUP is successfully completed with Alexander and Christoph Tremmel concentrating on their management functions at SKB Industrieholding GmbH. The Group now has a total turnover of over 260 million euros with over 1000 employees and subsidiaries in 4 countries

  • 2016
    2016

    SKW – the core company of the SKB-GROUP – has been in existence for 125 years.

Video OF COMPANY HISTORY

ANNIVERSARY PUBLICATION - 125 YEARS OF SKW